I recycle, and try to be consciencious about turning off lights when I leave a room, but I admit I'm not as aware or as active as I probably should be. Earth Hour is one little thing we can do to reflect on our energy consumption and at the same time reflect on the simple pleasures of life by turning off our TV, computers, phones, etc. Given that the Earth Hour website suggests people blog and twitter about their experiences during the hour, I assume total abstinence from gadgets is not part of the "rules" per se, but I think it would certainly enhance the experience.
So, if you're thinking of participating, but wondering "what on earth would I do for an hour without lights, electricity, or even batteries?" here are a few ideas...
- play a board game or write a letter by candlelight
- make s'mores in your fireplace
- go outside and look at the stars
- sit in the dark and TALK
- go to bed early
- get in bed early and... you know
- draw pictures in the dark and laugh at yourselves when the lights are back on
- tell funny stories about what you think is happening on your favorite TV shows ("Tonight, on Slutty Doctors..." Okay, that would be Thursday night, but it's still a fun game.)
So, what will YOU do?